
My friend,
Kristie, was just saying that she likes to wear dresses in the summer - me, too! I have found an easy, inexpensive dress that I can whip up in an hour.

You need a tank top ($4- Old Navy) and fabric ($4- Hobby Lobby) ! I used 1 yard for the skirt and 1/4 yard for the sash.

I cut the tank off where I wanted the skirt to start- above the waist. For me it was 5 inches below the arm holes.

Lulu approves.

I just made one back seam and a small hem.

Make a slight gather at the top of the skirt. I measured around myself and added 1 inch because I didn't want it tight.

Sew to the tank. Slightly stretch the tank as you sew to make it fit the skirt.
Overedge the seam. Done. You can then embellish it to give it your own touch! I took 1/4 yard of white fabric to make a sash. I cut in half the long way to make it long. Sewed it together then folded it in half , sewed the long seam and ends. Leave a hole to turn it inside out, then hand sew the hole. I have not attached the sash to the dress because I don't know if I want to tie it in the front or back.

This is the first one I made and I sewed the sash to the front and side seams.

It ties in the back. I like this dress, but I gathered more fabric in the skirt and it looks a little "fluffy". Dress #2 is longer and less gathered and I am happier with the fit!

This is the dress I got for my birthday last summer at Disney World. It was a lot more expensive than the homemade version but, I love the added Tinkerbell detail on the waist.

And on the back...

I'm already thinking about adding some ruffles, lace or ribbon to the next one I make!
5 comments:
Those dresses are so cute. The one in the first picture is just perfect for summer. I love the one with the black top. Clever, clever. You can take those on the cruise, right ? Did you make one for Lulu ?
xxoo Lil
very cute!
Great job, they are all cute but I really love the blank tank top dress with the polka dot belt!
thanks for sharing this! i REALLY like the black one, the fabric is gorgeous! i think i'm going to have to try this (for upcoming beach trip)...i may make modifications with the sash...i like the sash a lot...hmmm...will share what i come up with! (first to find a tank top that fits, that will be a major dilemma).
ALL so cute....but the black one. Heart it! WAY CUTE. Seriously, an esty shop. Id order the black one.
Post a Comment