Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Thrifty Thursday

Today I am sharing my cute and thrifty Christmas tags! Once you gather the materials and set up an assembly line they are pretty quick to put together.

The only thing I purchased to make these was an old hymnal for $.50. The other supplies I had on hand: cereal boxes, glue, ribbon scraps and grunge paint. Here is my assembly line set up on the kitchen counter(not much cooking going on here this week!) - my sewing room is a mess and this way I can make a few when I have a spare minute.


First cut out circles from the cereal boxes. Cut circles from the hymnal. Glue together and punch a hole. Thread ribbon through the hole (which I forgot to do!)

Cut 2 inch strips of hymnal and scallop one edge. Fold in pleats, Use to strips to glue around the front of the circle. Adjust pleats as you go. Do not expect perfection!
Glue clip art in the center.

Paint Grunge paint *(recipe follows) around small sections. Before it dries wipe it off with a damp paper towel.
Smudges are OK! I also wiped some on the back....

Sit around to dry.

Tie on bags or gift boxes. We wrote the To/From info on the back in Sharpie.

We shredded some hymns in a paper shredder for the inside of the bag!
*Grunge Paint: Mix small amounts of instant coffee, vanilla, cinnamon and water. I used about a tablespoon of each. It should be thick. Test it on a scrap. To lighten add more water-to darken more instant coffee.
I'll be linking up to Thrifty Thursday at Leigh's place- Bloggeritaville!

7 comments:

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I just love these and would love to make some. I saved that same picture of Santa last year because I knew I wanted to use it to make something, I just didn't know what. Now I do! Thanks for posting how you made them!

kristie said...

"Do not expect perfection!" LOL! that cracked me up. these are really cute. you should make a bunch and string them together to make a garland! (do you like how i'm creating work for you??)

Lilly said...

Fantastic !!!! Love this idea.

They are Purrfic !

XXOO Lilly

Pam said...

love those!

Sandy said...

Those are so cute. I love the vintage look of them. I also like that you don't have to expect perfection.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

GORGEOUS!!!!! Yu always have such wonderful ideas!!!

Unknown said...

I actually saw "an original" at Wanda Craft's house and took a pic on my phone. Loved it! My gal pals and I get together & craft about once a month...this will be a great project for us. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to following your blog. Tiffany Steers